Work Permit

Finding work in Canada can be one of the fastest ways to begin life in Canada.

It all starts with a job offer from a Canadian employer.

  • With a full-time permanent job offer, one may qualify for Arranged Employment under the Federal Skilled Worker Program or a Skilled Worker category of one of the Provincial Nominee Programs. Both of these options will entitle one to fast-track Canadian Immigration.
  • If an individual has an offer of temporary employment, he or she may be eligible for a Temporary Work Permit. With a work permit, one could be in Canada in a matter of weeks to months. Many foreign skilled workers who come to Canada on work permits can eventually qualify for fast-track Canadian Immigration (Permanent Residence) through one of the Provincial Nominee Programs, the Canadian Experience Class, or Arranged Employment.

A work permit is a written authorization that is:

  • issued by an officer that allows a person who is not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident to work in Canada;
  • needed if you want to work in Canada, even if your employer is not in Canada;
  • usually valid only for a specific employer, job, and length of time;
  • issued based on a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC), or an Offer of employment from an LMIA-exempt employer.

For a work permit application, the employer will be evaluated on:

  • whether or not the offer of employment is genuine;
  • their compliance history (within the past six years) with the commitments listed in their offer of employment on:
    • Wages;
    • Working conditions; and
    • The job;
  • Whether or not they follow Federal-Provincial or Territorial Laws; and
  • Whether or not they are banned from hiring a foreign national as per the IRPR.

For certain occupations, internationally-trained workers and professionals must have their education and work experience credentials assessed and recognized by federal and provincial/territorial regulatory bodies before they can work in Canada. For many regulated occupations such as engineers, medical doctors, nurses, electricians, plumbers, veterinarians, and physiotherapists, foreign-trained workers may need to obtain additional certification before they can work in their fields. Preparing ahead of time can make the transition to the Canadian workforce much more efficient.