Visitors Visa

Visitors are persons who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada, and are legally authorized to enter Canada to:

  • visit Canada on holiday (vacation),
  • visit family,
  • conduct business.

Visitors are restricted in length of stay and subject to various conditions. Persons who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada may require a visa to enter Canada. The requirement for a visa also applies to temporary residents who are transiting in Canada. If a client does not need a visa to enter Canada, the person may need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). In that case, an applicant must find out whether he or she needs an eTA.

A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is an official document issued by a Canadian visa office that is placed in your passport to show that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident (either as a visitor, a student, or a worker). An applicant must obtain a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) before he or her departure. The person cannot obtain one upon arrival in Canada.

The person must show the officer that the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations and that the individual will be in Canada for a temporary stay.

Also, the person must:

  • Satisfy an officer that he or she will leave Canada at the end of the stay,
  • Show that the person has enough money to maintain him or herself and family members in Canada and to return home,
  • Not intend to work or study in Canada unless authorized to do so,
  • Be law-abiding and have no record of criminal activity,
  • Not be a risk to the security of Canada,
  • Provide any additional document requested by the officer to establish admissibility, and
  • Be in good health (complete a medical examination if required).