Temporary Resident Permit

If an individual is inadmissible to Canada, due to criminal, security or medical reasons, but requires entry to Canada, they may be eligible for a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP). A TRP is different from a Temporary Resident Visas (TRV), commonly referred to as a Canadian Visitor Visa.

A TRP allows an individual to overcome their inadmissibility for a specified reason and a given period. The applicant is required to demonstrate there is a significant reason they must enter Canada. A person who is criminally inadmissible to Canada is inadmissible for work, study, visitation purposes and is prohibited from submitting an application for Canadian permanent residence. A Temporary Resident Permit will help an inadmissible person gain entry to Canada, though only on temporary grounds. In other words, a TRP can only be used for entry to Canada as a foreign worker, international student or as a visitor but not for any permanent residency processes.

A Temporary Resident Permit Canada is required until criminal inadmissibility has been removed, either through applying for the criminal rehabilitation process or deemed rehabilitation. There are several different circumstances that could result in criminal inadmissibility and cause a person to need a TRP. For example, if a person has been convicted of an offense and:

  • Less than five years have elapsed since the completion of the sentence
  • More than five years have passed since the completion of the sentence and the inadmissible person has not applied for, or received, a positive decision on an application for criminal rehabilitation

It is important to note that individuals who are eligible for criminal rehabilitation but who have not yet applied and require entry to Canada, should not only apply for a TRP but Criminal Rehabilitation as well. Criminal Rehabilitation is a permanent solution to criminal inadmissibility, while a TRP is a temporary bridge for inadmissibility.
Applicants can apply for a TRP at Canadian visa office or a port of entry. The Canadian government encourages individuals to apply well in advance if they know they must enter Canada and are inadmissible.