Study Permit/Visa

Canadian educational institutions welcome more than 200,000 international students from different countries each year. To study at a Canadian educational institution (Designated Learning Institution – DLI), most foreign nationals must apply for and be granted a study permit. A study permit, once issued, allows a foreign national to study in Canada at an approved institution for the duration of the specified course or program. In some cases, a foreign national does not require a study permit to go to school in Canada. This could be the case if the course or program an individual intends to study is less than six months in duration or the customer is a family member or staff of a foreign representative to Canada, or if the person is a member of a foreign armed force.

To be eligible to study in Canada:

  • An individual must have been accepted by a school, college, university or other educational institution in Canada.
  • He or she must prove that there is enough money to pay for tuition and living expenses for the person, and any family members living with that person in Canada. Also, there must be provision for return transportation for the customer and any family members that accompanied him to Canada.
  • A client must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. He or she may have to provide a police certificate.
  • A client must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary.
  • He or she must satisfy an immigration officer that he or she will leave Canada at the end of the authorized stay.

A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) may also be required if the student is a citizen of a country from which Temporary Resident Visas are requirements for entry into Canada. A Temporary Resident Visa is not a requirement for citizens of visa exempt countries.