Family Sponsorship (Spouse/Common-Law Partner and Dependent Children)

If an individual is a citizen or permanent resident of Canada and at least 18 years old, he or she can sponsor certain relatives to come to Canada. Some relatives can live, study and work in Canada if they become permanent residents. Some relationships qualify for Family Class Sponsorship, including spouses and common-law partners, parents and grandparents, dependent children, adopted children, and potentially other relationships under certain Provincial Family Class Sponsorship programs. For parents and grandparents, there is also the Super Visa program.

If a client sponsors a relative to come to Canada as a permanent resident, the client is responsible for supporting his or her relative financially when he or she arrives. The individual’s relatives must pass medical, criminal and background checks. The sponsor will be asked to provide proof that he or she can provide basic needs for both themselves and the sponsored persons such as food, clothing, and shelter, and can support the relatives financially, so they do not need financial help from the government