Canadian Experience Class

The CEC is a permanent resident category for individuals with skilled work experience in Canada. It is for temporary foreign workers and foreign graduates with qualifying Canadian work experience. The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) allows those with Canadian work experience to become permanent residents. As of January 1, 2015, potential candidates interested in applying to the Canadian Experience Class must go through the Express Entry system.

If an employer wants to hire a new worker or support current workers in getting permanent residence through the Canadian Experience Class, they must go through the Express Entry system. To qualify under the Canadian Experience Class, the candidate must

  • plan to live outside the province of Quebec,
  • have at least 12 months of full-time (or the equivalent in part-time) skilled work experience in Canada with the proper authorization in the three years before they apply, and
  • meet the required language levels needed for the job for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing, and comprehension).